The volunteer invitation process is different for PMC 2021, so we urge all site and crew leaders to read the following instructions. For the first time, you can invite past volunteers to a different position for this year's event; in the past you were only able to invite a volunteer back to the exact position they held the previous year.
This change is in place to accommodate sites and crews leaders, as there are safety precautions will impact the number of volunteers required this year, as well as volunteers' responsibilities on PMC weekend.
Thank you for all you do to support the PMC!
1. Log into your PMC account: https://secure.pmc.org
2. On your PMC Manage page, download the list of required positions by clicking either “Export to xlsx” or “Export to csv.” This spreadsheet shows the number of required and registered volunteers for each position for this year.
You’ll also be able to find this information within your Crew Management tools; more details about this within the Invitation Process of these instructions.
3. On your Manage page, download your list of past volunteers by clicking “↓ Excel.” This spreadsheet shows your volunteers from the previous year, including their crew, position, time slot, current year’s registration status, and contact information.
4. Once you have both spreadsheets available, take notes on your spreadsheet of past volunteers (from step 3) to fulfill the number of required volunteers for each position and time slot. Use the spreadsheet of required positions (from step #2) to guide you.
For instance, if a crew requires 10 volunteers for a time slot, select 10 people on your past volunteers spreadsheet and make a note that you would like to invite those volunteers for PMC 2021. Take notes in a blank column on the spreadsheet, highlight their names in a specific color, cut and paste their names into a separate sheet – do whatever works for you to organize your notes!
This step is not required but highly recommended so that you can organize your volunteers before setting up invitations in your PMC crew management tools.
5. Once you have your notes organized to determine which volunteers you would like to invite to which positions for PMC 2021, click “Manage All” in the Crew Management section of your Manage page: https://secure.pmc.org/Tools/Crew
6. Once on your Crew Management page, you will be in the default view, “Crew Members.” This view shows your crew members and their position(s) from the previous year. The other views are “Invitation List” and “Positions.”
Crew leaders will see volunteers for just their crew. Site leaders will see volunteers for all crews at their site. You can sort volunteers by any of the columns in this view, such as “Job Available,” “Invited,” “Crew,” etc.
On the “Crew Members” view, select one or more individuals to begin the invitation process by clicking in the box next to their egift ID. Use your notes from the preparation stage to guide you here.
If an individual held multiple volunteer jobs last year, you will see their name appear multiple times.
7. Once you have selected the individuals you want to invite, click “+ Add to Invitation,” which will become clickable once you have at least one volunteer record selected. This will add the volunteer to your “Invitation List.”
If the position is available for 2021 (see “Job Available” column), you will see a confirmation message that the job has been added to your “Invitation List.” You can confirm this by clicking “Invitation List” next the “Crew Members.”
If the position is not available for 2021 (see “Job Available” column), you will see a message prompting you to select a new position for the volunteer.
Click “Yes” to select a new job. At this step, you will see a full list of jobs for your crew or site, along with the number of volunteers required, assigned to (those already registered), invited, and available for each position.
Click on a position on this list that does not have too many volunteers invited or assigned to it, then click “Select Position” to add it to the “Invitation List.” You will see a message confirming the addition.
8. If you have additional volunteers to invite who were not registered for PMC 2020, use the "Add Volunteer" button to search for individuals who have participated in past PMCs.
Type a volunteer's name in the available field and click "Search." The search results will show the individual's name, city and state, and years last volunteered and participated as a rider.
Once you find the individual you were search for, click "Select Person" to choose a position for them. Once you have identified the position for them, click "Select Position." This will add the volunteer to your "Invitation List" with all of your 2020 volunteers who are also being invited to volunteer for PMC 2021.
9. As you work, review your “Invitation List.” If you need to remove any invitations on this page, select the volunteer by clicking in the box next to their egift ID. Click “Remove Selected Job.”
10. Once you have reviewed your “Invitation List,” click “Create Invitations.” Invitations prepared before March 16, 2021, will be added to a queue to be sent to invited volunteers beginning at 9 AM on March 16. Invitations will not be sent at 9 AM on March 16 if you do not complete this step. Once you click “Create Invitations,” you will not be able to change the volunteer’s position. If you do this accidentally, please contact PMC Volunteer Justine Darmanian at email@example.com
11. If you have additional invitations to create, return to the “Crew Members and Positions” page to add additional volunteers. If you want to invite a volunteer to an additional position, you may do so on the “Crew Members” view even if they have already been invited to a different position. Click “+ Add to Invitation” for this person and you will be able to select an additional position for them.
You do not need to invite all volunteers to your crew at once and you may continue inviting volunteers after March 16. When you click “Create Invitation” after 9 AM on March 16, the invitations will send immediately.
The invite only volunteer registration period runs until March 31, when registration opens to all alumni at 9 AM that day.
Invited volunteers will receive an email with a link for them to register for the specific positions you have selected for them. This link will also be available on their Manage page. Please encourage all of your volunteers to register during the invitation only period.
1. On your Crew Management page, click "Edit Email." This will display your previously sent emails, which are saved for future editing/sending. (If you have no previously sent emails, you will see a blank message for you to begin drafting your first email to your volunteers.)
2. Click on the envelope icon next to a subject line to view the message and the list of volunteers who received it.
3. To use one of these previously sent emails as the starting point for a new email, click on the subject line.
To start a new message, click "New Email" in this window. This will open a blank message for you to draft your message.
You can also create a new message on the main Crew Management page without clicking "Edit Email." Select the contacts you would like to send a message to by clicking in the box next to their egift ID and then click "Send Email." This will open a blank message for you to draft your message; it will not automatically send an email to your selected contacts.
Once you update an existing email or draft a new email, save your work by clicking "Save Changes" below the body text.
4. Now select the volunteers you would like to send your email to. The default view shows all contacts and you can sort by filters, such as "registered this year," "not on crew this year," etc. You can select contacts one at a time by clicking the box next to their egift ID or you select all contacts by clicking the box in the header next to the label "eGiftID."
5. After selecting your contacts, click on your email message and then click "Send Message." You will be prompted to confirm and click "Send Message" a second time.
The intention of the process – to invite your strongest volunteers back to support your crew – is the same but the functionality of the invitation process is different. This year, site leaders are able to invite past volunteers to any position on any crew and crew leaders can invite past volunteers to any position on their specific crew. In the past, site and crew leaders were only able to invite volunteers back to the exact same position.
This change was made to better accommodate site leaders, crew leaders, volunteers, and the overall PMC. The number of volunteers will be limited this year so you may need fewer volunteers on a crew than you did in a past year. However, there may be another crew that needs additional support this year.
This year’s invite only period is two weeks long: March 16 to 31. This period has been extended to enable crew leaders more time to invite volunteers, address their questions, and to encourage volunteers to register ASAP. We hope a majority of volunteers will register during this invite only period.
You will be able to check the status of each volunteer by going to the “Invitation List.” By each volunteer name, you’ll be able to see if the invitation was created, sent, opened and accepted. If a volunteer accepted the invitation, you’ll be able to see when they registered in the “Reg Date” column.
If a volunteer has not yet registered, make sure to follow up with them to ensure that they register during the invitation period (March 16 to 31). Once alumni registration opens, their spot most likely will be filled.
Reach out to Justine at firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions. If needed, she will be able to set up a time to go over the process with you.