A Message to PMC Riders
As you know, on May 1, we announced that the traditional Pan-Mass Challenge will be “reimagined” for this year. Since then, the PMC staff has been hard at work creating new tools and experiences designed to excite our riders and raise as large a gift as we can for Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. To paraphrase our announcement in The Boston Globe, “PMC 2020 may be reimagined, the need to raise funds for life-saving cancer research and treatment is very real.”
What follows is the first of several updates you’ll receive as the anticipation builds for PMC weekend over the next two months. Here are six new elements of the PMC for 2020:
- Official Rider Collection: All registered riders will receive an exclusive PMC 2020 rider collection sent to their homes. This will include all your official PMC 2020 rider gear – jersey, water bottle, socks, name tag – and more! These will ship by the third week of July, so be sure to login to your PMC profile and confirm we have an up-to-date address for you.
- “PMC 2020 Live” on WBZ-TV Friday, July 31: Formerly the “PMC Opening Ceremony,” this always-inspiring broadcast will share new stories from the fight against cancer waged by Dana-Farber. Tune in with friends at 7 PM EDT for the broadcast co-hosted by WBZ-TV news anchors (and PMC riders) Lisa Hughes and David Wade, along with Billy Starr.
- Strava Integration: Show donors that you’re putting in your training miles – and earning their support – right on your PMC Profile. Available June 1, just create a free Strava account, then from your PMC Manage page, authorize Strava to share your activities with the PMC. Easy!
- Billy’s PMC Ride: Like all of us, Billy Starr will reimagine his PMC in 2020. During the last week of July, Billy plans to ride a century (100 miles) with a few friends and a GoPro to capture images we’ll share from his PMC. How will you reimagine your PMC 2020?
- Virtual MMA Experience on Saturday, August 1: The end of Day One at the Massachusetts Maritime Academy is one part of PMC weekend we’ll miss the most, but we’re inviting all 7,000 of you to join the party on our virtual MMA quad for 2020! There will be games, music, team photos, and reuniting with old friends. Details to come...
- Living Proof Ceremony on Saturday, August 1: Few moments during the PMC evoke more emotion that the Living Proof Ceremonies we host at MMA on Saturday and Babson College on Sunday. This year, we’re welcoming cancer survivors from anywhere in the world to join us for a special tribute from Billy, a toast and a song or two.
Finally, we’re asking all riders to remember your mission and to help us fight cancer with everything you’ve got. If you haven’t started fundraising for 2020, please do so today. Returning donors expect to hear from you, while new donors will respect the mission and have undoubtedly been touched by cancer. Even a small step – updating your profile page, sending an email or launching your Facebook Fundraiser – will shift the inertia in your favor!
Especially this year, There's a Lot Riding on Us!