Dear 2020 PMC riders,
Our commitment to fighting cancer cannot take a break, because we know that cancer doesn’t take one. The COVID-19 pandemic is the most urgent health crisis faced by our country in several generations, and the virus is even more threatening if you are battling cancer and have a compromised immune system. This crisis has brought significant new challenges and costs to Dana-Farber Cancer Institute as they work tirelessly to fulfill their mission to provide extraordinary care and perform critical cancer research, all while protecting their patients and staff.
The PMC has committed to raise and release $4 million of unrestricted giving to Dana-Farber’s newly established Emergency Response Fund by May 1. Once PMC riders raise $3 million, a generous matching gift of $1 million will be contributed by a PMC rider and donor. To support this urgent initiative, we are asking all riders who can begin their 2020 PMC fundraising to do so now, understanding that those of you who have been severely financially impacted by COVID-19 may not be able to. Unrestricted gifts are crucial right now as they allow Dana-Farber to decide how the money is used, supporting the most urgent needs for the cancer community during these unprecedented times. The vital unrestricted dollars we raise by May 1 will support Dana-Farber patients and staff in the short term and deliver on the PMC mission of funding lifesaving cancer treatment and cures for the long term.
For more on the PMC’s commitment to Dana-Farber’s Emergency Response Fund, view a video message from Billy Starr and Dr. Laurie Glimcher here.
Each year, funds raised by PMC riders account for almost 20% of Dana-Farber’s annual unrestricted giving. The PMC’s unrestricted fundraising this year will help underwrite the Emergency Response Fund to support:
- Unanticipated additional costs to keep cancer patients safe and prevent infection as they receive lifesaving treatments;
- New expenses for telemedicine technology that allows patients and families to visit with their Dana-Farber care team virtually;
- Pressing financial strains felt by patients and caregivers who lose employment or experience disruptions in dependent care due to school and other closures;
- Flexible funding for research and care due to the cancellation or postponement of hundreds of spring fundraising events benefitting Dana-Farber and the Jimmy Fund; and
- Obtaining additional personal protective equipment and supplies to keep staff and patients safe.
Even during these challenging times, two things about the PMC will not change:
- 100 percent of every rider-raised dollar will go to Dana-Farber
- All directed funds will be attributed to their designated areas
If you are a rider who currently directs your PMC fundraising to a particular research area and want to un-restrict a portion of your fundraising this year, please let us know by completing
To get started, use the April fundraising email template (available through your MyPMC Manage page under "Email Templates") and our new Fundraising Guide (available at pmc.org/tools-tips). We hope you find these resources useful as you kick off your fundraising campaign. The PMC staff are working remotely and remain available to assist you by phone or email.
We know the PMC community will step up, as it always has, for 41 years. Thank you for your commitment to our mission.